Saturday, 28 January 2012

Laptop Guidelines


My conscience hounded me the other night. I had deliberately disobeyed my mother, and in doing so, I had broken the fifth commandment. This was regarding the new laptop I had brought, when, at around 10.30pm, my mother had told me to go to bed. I had retorted by saying that I was “just finnishing this . . .”, whereupon I had promptly ignored her and gone on with whatever I was doing for another half-an-hour! You may think that this is no big deal, but in God's eyes it is and yet sadly so often we do these seemingly “small sins” and dismiss them as unimportant.

These thoughts were going around and around my head the other night until inspiration hit! I thought that the best way of trying to avoid the temptation to sin where my laptop was concerned was to put God's word right in front of me as a daily reminder. I decided to go into my Bible and write out each of the 10 Commandments from Exodus 20. Underneath each one, I wrote out how some aspect of my laptop was causing me to be tempted to sin, and then what steps I could take to put this temptation as far from me as possible. Amazingly, the further down the list I got, the more I realized that temptations avaliable on the laptop could easily enable me to break all of the 10 Commandments, even in one day! This done, I then printed it and stuck it in an area where I could see it from my laptop. Now I will have no excuse for these “small sins”, and, with the Lord's help, he will stop me before temptation turns into sinful actions!

Doing this kind of thing may or may not help you – I have yet to see if it works properly for me! And of course, areas of temptation are different for everyone; mine is a laptop yet yours may be a cellphone, the TV, certain types of books etc! Or even many of these things as in my case! And the ways we handle it will be different too, but if we prayerfully search the scriptures and ask God to help us, I'm sure He will!

No comments: