Sunday, 26 February 2012

‘The Cookie Thief’ by Valerie Cox

Recently, I was checking my email inbox and stumbled across this really amusing poem which had been forwarded to me. I thought it was very amusing and yet at the same time offered insight into how our initial perceptions can be wrong. For copyright reasons, I thought it was better for me not to quote it word for word here, but below there is a link where you can read it:


* DISCLAIMER: Just because I have included this link here does not mean I in any way endorse any of the other material published by its source(s).

Anyway, I’m not going to attempt to analyse it in any great depth as I’m sure there are many other places which have already done that! I just felt that it aptly summarised my own faults and failings (aside from my tendency to get into embarrassing situations)! Recently, I have been considering how much I can tend to have an arrogant “better-than-thou” attitude, which I’m sure is in direct opposition to the attitude God wants us to have as Christians. This poem really illustrates how important it is that we don’t simply assume that we are in the right, but rather that we act in a way that demonstrates our love for our neighbours. As it says in Luke 6:29-31: “To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who tales away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.” [Emphasis mine].

Food for thought (literally) anyway!

God bless and have a good week!
 
Violet

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Lovely post, Violet! My mama really liked it too :D
God bless,
Daisy ♥ :)

Hyacinth said...

That poem is so good! Thanks heaps for putting it up! :)
Love from your friend,
Hyacinth ♥

Violet said...

Thanks Hyacinth and Daisy! I think you sent it to me originally Hyacinth, so thank you too! God bless you both and have a good week!
Violet