Wednesday, 8 February 2012

The Women of Catawba

"As the ship pulled away from the dock, Taylor breathed a sigh of relief. They were free and going to a strange new place called Charleston, South Carolina...in America..."
 When Lily lent this to me, telling me it had been her favourite book for years, I knew it had to be good. But I wasn't really prepared for how good! If you are looking for an exciting novel, with lots of twists and turns, unexpected happenings, a good dose of history, really believable characters and a faith-strengthening story line, this is for you!

This was the last novel ever completed by Hilda Stahl, and it is, in my opinion, one of her very best. I'm not going to give away any of the plot line, just what is already stated on the back of the book.

The book tells the story of Taylor Craven, a young widow with a small baby, who is about to leave from England, with her late husband's cousin, to whom she is deeply in debt. But before they set sail, she overhears a plot, and knows she must escape. Along with a slave woman called Cammie, Taylor and her baby, Brooke, she makes her way onto a ship bound for America. On board, she meets some strange characters who will help change the shape of her life. Nothing is played out as expected in this story, and you will never lose interest, let me promise you that!

I hope you enjoy this "inspiring story of men and women whose faith, strength and capacity to love are tested to the limit" as much as I did.


4 comments:

Hyacinth said...

Hi Daisy! I love this book, it's so exciting and it gets into the story straight away! :) I'm glad you liked it. Lily has the coolest books ever. :)
Love from your friend, Hyacinth

Daisy said...

It is such a great book! She has totally got the best books!! :D I may just have to borrow some more ;)

Rissi said...

My mom read this book years ago... but I've never gotten around to it.

Glad you enjoyed it, Daisy.

Daisy said...

Well, I most highly recommend it to you, Rissi!! :)