Thursday, 31 May 2012

English Country Dancing


Fancy an evening of English Country Dancing? 

A few weeks ago, this is what Hyacinth, Daisy, Violet and I were doing on a Saturday evening. Dancing, dressed up in period costume (think Pride & Prejudice, or Emma – although both Hyacinth and I wore medieval dresses). J English Country Dancing is one of our most favourite events, and this time I had the fun of organizing it. For years now, a very dear friend of ours has organised English Country Dances for people of all ages, and has led the dances, teaching us some easy ones and some slightly more complicated dances as we got better acquainted with the easier ones. J Our friend is now married and living overseas with her husband, and we hadn’t had a Country Dance in over a year – until this past month. J The opportunity came up for another evening of dance and fun, although I was a bit nervous about the fact that I hadn’t called any of the dances before, and now that our friend wasn’t here, that responsibility/privilege would fall to me. But it was a great success! Not only did I really enjoy calling the dances, I also got to dance a bit myself near the end, and the evening was so much fun! We managed to dance to everyone’s favourites, including the well-known Virginia Reel (a lively barn-dance style dance), Gay Gordons (a much calmer, include-everyone kind of dance), Duke of Kent’s Waltz (a gentle, flowing dance complete with the gentleman twirling the lady around), and my favourite, Barbarini’s Tambourine (which includes the complicated but very fun step of four changes of hands). J When gentlemen were greatly outnumbered by the ladies, some of the ladies donned red ribbons and were able to dance with other ladies and not have to sit out. When most of the younger families had left for the evening and only the die-hard dancers were left, there was a perfect number of gentlemen and ladies present, and no one had to miss out! :)

Costumes

From left to right: Me (Lily), Daisy, Hyacinth
  at our latest ECD
Costumes are great fun at an English Country Dance. Many of the gentlemen wore suit jackets, and some even turned up in bow ties, cravats, or even top hats! The ladies looked stunning in their long flowing dresses, with their hair curled or styled in some fancy fashion. Little girls dressed in princess dresses and little boys wearing bow ties are not uncommon to see running around, or even dancing with the adults in some of the dances.



Videos

Follow this link for some photos/videos (old ones!) of some of the English Country dances we have held in the last few years! One of these videos is at least 4 years old ~ we've been doing it for a long time! :)


Violet and Hyacinth

Photos


Here's a collection of photos from our dances taken by a fellow Country-dancer :)


Daisy  











Having Fun

In my opinion, there’s no better way to spend a fun-filled evening with entire families enjoying each other’s company than at an English Country Dance!!! J If you ever get the opportunity to attend an English Country Dance, Hyacinth, Violet, Daisy and I all highly recommend it! :)

“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” ~ Colossians 3:17

Lots of love, in Christ, Lily xoxo

5 comments:

Daisy said...

Oooh, yay Lily - first post!!! :D And such a good one too!! :) Thanks for sharing that!! And I like the picture of the two of us with Hyacinth :D Might have to steal that ;) If ya don't mind, of course!! ♥
Love,
Daisy xoxoxox

Violet said...

Oh yay Lily, you've done your first post!!! :)

This was really lovely to read about and brought back lots of memories - I'm sure this post has inspired any readers to take part in an English Country Dance if they ever get the opportunity!

God bless and I hope you had a lovely week! :)

From your friend and sister in Christ,
Violet

Melody said...

Duke of Kent's Waltz is very fun! Also the Virginia Reel... that was the very first dance I ever attempted, with some of my friends. (Then about 3 months later another friend introduced me to an ECD group, and I was ever so happy!) I know I just did Gay Gordon recently but I can't remember right now how it goes! ;) My favorite dance, which the group has only done a few times, is called "The Bonnie Cuckoo". Perhaps it was the song that made me particularly like it! ;) It was a very pretty waltz.
The "four changes of hands" is very fun once you get the hang of it! I also like doing a "figure of eight". That looks hard at first but is actually very easy!

Sarah said...

Oooh!!!! I love to English Country Dance! My family has been to quite a few dances, all hosted and taught by Charmagne D., who I'm guessing must have taught you?

Violet said...

Hi Sarah and Melody,

Yes, we all love to English Country Dance (or watch English Country dancing in my case as I am not very competent at it!) :P

God bless!

From,
Violet