Friday, 25 May 2012

‘The Young Victoria’ Movie Review

Seeing as I had put up a post on Queen Victoria’s journals, I thought it was about time that I wrote a movie review on The Young Victoria, a movie based on Queen Victoria’s life as a young woman. I will try not to create any spoilers! :)

This film stars Emily Blunt as Queen Victoria and Rupert Friend as her eventual husband, Prince Albert. The story follows the life of Britain's longest reigning monarch (to date!) from adolescence into a woman who would become queen and later learn some difficult lessons about ruling, with the assistance of her husband, Albert.  

What I disliked: Now, don’t get me wrong – I love this movie! However, there are some elements of it that I think could have been changed or done better. One complaint I had was the movie’s tendency to over-romanticise some scenes more than was necessary. While there was nothing worse than what you would expect be shown according to its PG rating, there were a few too many scenes that I felt a little uncomfortable with for me to enjoy this film as much as I would have otherwise (this is mainly why Miss Potter is a better film, in my opinion). Also, though I cannot claim to be an expert on Queen Victoria’s life, I knew enough to spot more historical accuracies than I thought there would be. I won’t spoil it by pointing any out to you, but needless to say anyone knowing enough of the history will inevitably spot them. And while it didn’t really hinder the history being conveyed, and helped the drama and the flow of the narrative a bit more, I personally prefer it when films stay as true to the history as possible. That’s just coming from someone obsessed with history, so I wouldn’t let that put you off watching it! :) This film is still a lot more historically accurate than many other period films I have seen, and overall the romance is sweet and lovely, so personally from a Christian perspective, I feel comfortable enough to still recommend it to my friends.

What I liked: Hmm, I hope I haven’t put anyone off seeing this amazing, incredible, breathtaking film with the sheer length of the section above!!! One thing about this film that blew my mind away was the costuming and locations. I fell in love with so many of Victoria’s dresses which were elaborate and quintessentially Victorian. I particularly fell in love with this yellow dress – fit for a princess! The effect that these gorgeous costumes and dazzling locations had upon you was that you felt it was genuine, you came away convinced that you had seen a glimpse into what the monarchy in Britain during the 19th century must have been like. Unfortunately, you will never be able to get such a good sense of the grandeur by watching it on a little screen as I did when I saw it the first time on a big screen! Another great component of this film was the acting, which I found outstanding. Rupert Friend’s performance convinced me that he was Prince Albert through and through, based on the little I knew about the real Prince Albert, and while at first I found Emily Blunt’s performance far too forward for the time period, after viewing it several times I have come to appreciate the way she conveys the struggles and true strength of character that the real Victoria must have had. I mean, imagine becoming queen of all England aged 18!  

Rating: 4/5  My recommendation: as soon as you have time, get this film out and watch it!!!
Here is the trailer, which I hope you enjoy! And remember, while I think this movie is well worth watching, still respect your parents decision regarding it.

6 comments:

Ella said...

I have been wanting to see this movie for a long time!
Maybe I"ll get to see it this summer.

Kirstin said...

This movie is amazing! Deginately should be a 5/5!!! The filming and actors and costumes were all incredible. And enough of the historical facts were left in to keep it true to the story. It included, action, romance, history definately go watch this movie! (: it is my favourite historical movies definately. :)

Daisy said...

Young Victoria is definitely one of my favourite movies ever!! Thanks for reviewing it, Violet! :D
God bless,
Daisy xx ♥

Wild Horse said...

After seeing this movie, (I'm pretty sure with you) mum bought us a copy, and it has really been enjoyed! :)

Emily said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie! My 14 year old sister and I (I turn thirteen tomorrow) watched all of it, but one of the romantic scenes. I just love this movie - it was great!
Thanks for reviewing!

God bless,
Emily <3

Violet said...

It's great to see how many people love this movie as much as I do!!! I'm glad you all enjoy it! :D