Friday, 27 July 2012

The Olympics!!

Tomorrow, the London 2012 Olympics open. I'm so excited!!! For as far back as I can remember, I have fond memories of sitting, watching the Olympic Games with my family. I've always loved watching the track events and the gymnastics best. When I was really, really little, I used to dream of going to the Olympics as a gymnast (haha, yeah right!). 

 But I also really love watching the opening ceremonies. The Beijing Olympic opening ceremony was amazing!! Even if they did kinda cheat on a few things ;P. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of spectacular London has in store for us!! 


It is really cool to be able to watch all of the world's best sports people perform all in one competition!! I love watching them all representing their countries, and doing their very best, giving it their all. 
There have been so many stories about the Olympic athletes in the news recently. Yesterday, I heard one that made me really sad. It is the one about the girl who was cut from the Greek Olympic team, after making a racist remark on Twitter. (You can read the full story  here:)                 

It just made me really sad to hear that. All that work, all the time and energy she put into perfecting her skill, all wasted, because of one thoughtless remark. But, as my mum said to me, when you are in the public eye, you have to be so, so careful what you say and do. 

And that got me thinking. You know, we too are running our own Olympic race, in a way. As Christians, we are running the race of life, for God, and we should be striving to do our very best for Him.  

And as Christians, we are always in the eye of unbelievers, who know what we believe, and are constantly watching to make sure we are living as we say we must. We need to be really careful to act in a way fitting of a runner from the Lord's household. We are to be mirrors which brightly reflect the glory of God!! :) 

"We can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more like Him." ~2 Corinthians 3:18~

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." ~Hebrews 12:1-2~

Anyway, I'm sure that's more than enough from me, and anyway, I'm off to try and get a good night's sleep now - tomorrow morning is the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics!! :D 

2 comments:

Ella said...

I'm not even a fan of sports,but I enjoy watching the Olympics.
I liked how in the opening ceramony they sang hymns.
Go team USA (and New Zealand:)

Daisy said...

Yeah, it is such a nice thing to watch!! :)
I really liked that too!! The first hymn they sany was soooo beautiful!
Woop woop, go NZ!! And USA, of course :D