Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Water...

This morning, I woke up to find that none of the taps in the house were working - no water was coming out at all. There was absolutely no water.

I love this :D
I wasn't too fussed by it, to be perfectly honest, but my mum was - she couldn't have her morning coffee!! Haha ;) So she rang the water services. Apparently, there was a burst pipe down our road, but they were working to fix it.  Mum put the phone down, satisfied. Coming from South Africa, where services of that kind often take hours or days to even be looked into, she is always pleased by New Zealand's promptness.

As we were sitting down to breakfast, we were talking about it all. We figured, you know, we have no water this morning, but that won't be for long, and we almost never have the water turned off. My mum's cousin, who still lives in South Africa, lives in an area where she has to go through having the water off at least a few times a week, often for hours at a time, sometimes even multiple times a day! And she never knows exactly when this is going to happen, so she has to constantly keep a bucketful of water handy. They often are without power too, as the government tries to save money. Thinking about that made us realize how blessed we are to live where we live, and to always have water, and electricity. A few little hours once or twice a year are nothing at all to complain about! :)
Then I started thinking about those people in third world countries who NEVER have power, never have running water, no homes even, no source of clean water - just a nearby river. Wow. Sure makes me grateful for what I have.

One day, I dream of making a difference over in countries like that, but right now, I'm just feeling grateful for all the blessing I have been given - blessing I am totally undeserving of, and have only been given, thanks to the incredible grace and love of my God and Savior - all those blessings I normally take for granted - food, clothes, a home, heating, electricity, education...

And water!!

No comments: