Friday, 5 October 2012

Elegance of Fashion: Reader Question #10: Jane Austen vs. Charles Dickens

 It's so neat to ask others in the blogging world questions and have them answered! I asked a question of Miss Elizabeth Bennet of Elegance of Fashion a while back and here is her answer!

Elegance of Fashion: Reader Question #10: Jane Austen vs. Charles Dickens: And after a little hiatus, I'm back to doing Reader Questions! This question came to me from Violet from Violets and Daisies . Violet asked...

 I was just wondering why it is that so many people seem to read/watch lots about Jane Austen (particularly in all the blogs I've discovered), but very few seem to prefer Charles Dickens and period dramas based on his books? I guess it is all down to personal preference, but I just always wonder why it is that way when I personally prefer his writing over hers. Any thoughts on this?

(Read more here.)


Bleak House (2005 minseries) based on the novel by Charles Dickens. Picture from Pinterest

2 comments:

Megan and Abby said...

I love reading Dickens' stories! I am currently reading Little Dorrit, which is certainly one of the most amazing books I have every read. I actually prefer Dickens to Austin; but as previously said, it does come down to personal preference.
-Abby

Violet said...

Yes, 'Little Dorrit' is an AMAZING read: it is certianly among my most favourite books (though I must say that my favourite Dickens is 'Bleak House' and I also love 'The Old Curiosity Shop')! For some reason, and to my great disappointment, I've never really been able to get into Jane Austen's books. :( Oh well, hopefully I will one day!