Thursday, 14 February 2013

Lincoln

Lincoln is undoubtedly one of the most incredible historical drama films I have ever seen. Steven Spielberg, the director, has done very good work in this film. Whilst it was not the best movie I have ever seen, it is one I would not hesitate to see again :D

The year is 1865, the fourth year of the American Civil War, the setting, mostly Washington DC, as Abraham Lincoln struggles to obtain passage for the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution in the United States House of Representatives - the amendment which would formally abolish slavery in America. The movie is on the longer side, but I remained captivated right up to the end.

The sets are wonderful, and full of beautiful, and historically correct, detail. The costumes, beautiful in the case of the ladies, and very dashing in the case of the men. Almost none of the characters ventured anywhere without a hat - a fact I have to say I really loved. I wish we still wore hats like those today. And I would really love to own some of First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln's dresses - they are absolutely stunning! :D The acting is excellent, and the dialogue is most engaging! My favourite quote from the movie is a rather unusual one, which I fully intend to adopt: "Why is this thus? And please explain this thusness!" I can't remember the exact situation in which Lincoln used this quote, but I love it all the same. Something else I loved about this movie was Lincoln's tendency to tell long, and sometimes seemingly pointless stories to people. Some of them were most amusing.
I'm afraid this isn't the best of pictures, but I simply
adore First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln's dress here!

On the whole, this movie is probably more suited to an older audience, because of its primary subject - the abolition of slavery, and some of the violence of the civil war shown. Also, as much of the dialogue is made by politicians, or political leaders, it can be somewhat hard to understand if you don't have a grasp of big words :) I'm afraid some of the language used at some points is not the best, so be aware of that as well. There is also quite an "end justifies the means" message in this movie, but the over-all message of fighting for human equality overrules this sub-message for me. I am delighted to say that there are no "skippy skippy scenes" at all. I got a bit concerned at one point that there might be, but that concern never came to fruition, thankfully!

Lincoln is honestly one of the very best historical movies I have ever seen. It is beautifully, and cleverly presented, and clearly gets across its message. It tells the story of the last part of Lincoln's life in a captivating, and fascinating way - even if it isn't 100% accurate haha. This movie is one I would recommend to anyone who is interested in history. It should be watched with caution, but I can honestly say that this is a movie I loved!


God bless,

No comments: