Wednesday, 27 February 2013

No Turning Back

One of my favourite ever Bible passages has always been in Matthew 4, where Jesus calls His disciples. My favourite verse is "Jesus said: Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. So they left their nets and followed Him."
That has always amazed me, that last part of that verse. For when you think about it, in that very sentence, those men (the disciples) surrendered their everything to Jesus. They were fishermen by trade, so in leaving their nets, they were walking away from not just their livelihood, but their family, their income, their sense of security, their status in the community - everything. And yet, they lost nothing. In fact, they gained so much more than they could have ever imagined - they gained new life. And there is never any record of Jesus and His disciples going short of anything they needed. 
So, I guess the question posed to us is, will we be like those disciples? Will we let go of our nets - our comfort things - and follow God? Are we prepared to let go of the illusion of control in life, and go where the Lord leads us? Are we prepared to let go of what we want, and take on the gift of serving Him, as fishers of men? 

I heard this song for the first time the other day, and for me it really related...
"I will follow You... I will follow You....
No turning back...No turning back
No turning back....No turning back!
This is my heart cry, 
Though none go with me. 
The cross before me, the world behind me. 

I will follow You...I will follow You...
No turning back...No turning back
No turning back...No turning back!
This is my anthem
My life for Your fame
My every move bring 
Glory to Your name
I will follow You...I will follow You
No turning back...No turning back
No turning back...No turning back!

The cross before me, the world behind me!
I will follow, I will follow!
The cross before me, the world behind me!
I will follow, I will follow!"


So let us let go of our own desires and follow, with our eyes on the cross, and let us be fishers of men!
Lots of love, 

No comments: