Friday, 29 March 2013

Violet: Hymns I Love #4: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

The lyrics of this hymn are absolutely amazing - and the Choir of Kings College in Cambridge sing it so beautifully! Listen and you'll see!

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross


When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did eer such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads oer His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

The reason why this song convicts me so strongly is because of its emphasis on pride and boasting. It is so, so easy for us to somehow see God's grace and Holy Spirit working in us as our own good works and that He is pleased with us for what we do. But this is far from true, and singing this hymn reminds me that if it were not for Him, I would be facing eternal judgement. And I love the last line of this hymn: "Love so amazing, so divine/Demands my soul, my life, my all." Once we understand how much Christ accomplished for us on our behalf on the cross we should be filled with a deep desire to love and serve Him to our fullest.

What can one say but "Thank you Lord"!










P.S. Joy over at the blog Fullness of Joy has been doing a series called "Music to Inspire" with the aim of once a month posting music that inspires you. I think it's a great idea and I hope to do this though it's likely that we'll post music more often than that, as you can probably already tell that music is a favourite thing for all the authors of this blog! But I encourage you to do the same as it's great to learn about all the talented musicians out there who use their gift to serve the Lord.

Fullness of Joy: Music to Inspire!

No comments: