Sunday, 5 May 2013

Dressing up! :)

Hi all!
Just thought I'd share an amazing regency costume I wore to two birthday parties this weekend - Daisy's English Country Dance birthday party and the birthday party of another friend who had a Jane Austen theme. It's not every day that I get invited to two birthday parties, and both with a historical theme! It just goes to show once again what amazing friends I have - friends who are prepared to do something different from teenage/young adult norms! I was very impressed by the number of gentleman at the Jane Austen birthday party who had made a concerted effort to dress to the period: there were tailcoats, cravats and top hats aplenty! And the ladies, as always, looked stunning - evidentally, a lot of time had been spent curling the hair!!! :P It was a lovely evening complete with musicians. :) Daisy's birthday was amazing too, but I'm sure she'll want to share about that with you all, so I'll leave it for her to describe. Anyway, here are the pictures!

I love the bonnet - I'd always secretly wanted to wear one!
This dress had an amazing long train - so much fun!
I thought the sofa looked quite neat with it actually!
In my "carriage" on the way to the party!
And just because I thought that the dress (and bonnet!) was AMAZING, I thought I'd do some free advertising for the even more amazing dressmaker who made them! Her name is Liane Rowe from Palmerston North, New Zealand and makes period costumes for a hobby. Here is a short video about her:


Anyway, hope that inspires any sewers out there! I for one am amazed by people who can design and make such amazing clothes!

From,


6 comments:

Violet said...

Oh and feel free to guess which dress from a Jane Austen film this outfit was based on. :D

Daisy said...

You are beautiful Violet!! I love that dress on you so much!! :)
And do you have any photos from my party? Because I don't actually have any :( Would you mind sending some to me if you do have any, as I would love to have photos to put with a blog post :)
God bless you, my dear friend <3

Emily said...

You're so pretty! :) I LOVE that bonnet and spencer jacket.

Violet said...

Thank you for the compliments Daisy and Emily! I love the outfit too, though I really can't take any credit for it, Mrs Rowe is an AMAZING seamstress!!! The dress is from her collection, I felt so priviledged to be able to wear it and I felt very much a part of the regency period in it (complete with my great-grandmother's gloves)!

Laura said...

It looks so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Margaret Dashwood said...

Gorgeous outfit Daisy, you rally look the part!