Monday, 27 May 2013

Wives and Daughters

I recently received a copy of the BBC series "Wives and Daughters", based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell. My mother and I have spent the last few weeks watching half an hour or so of it a night - and we absolutely loved it! :)

Whilst, perhaps, it is not the best BBC drama ever, it is definitely one of my favourites! As always, it is beautifully made, artfully filmed, incredibly well acted, engaging in story-line (I was most upset when we had to miss an evening or stop!) and well paced.

It tells the story of Molly Gibson, the doctor's daughter, from a small town in England. Molly's mother died when she was little, and she never imagined her father remarrying, but in her 17th year, he does. Her new mother also has a daughter of about the same age, Cynthia. The girls become firm friends, but throughout the course of the series, their friendship is tested when they become rivals in love, and dark secrets emerge from Cynthia's past. And that is all I'm going to tell you about it :)

Cynthia and Molly - quite a few people have told me that
I look just like Molly, but I can't say I agree haha :P

Elizabeth Gaskell's other books - North and South and Cranford - have also been turned into BBC dramas, and I would highly recommend both of them.

On the whole, Wives and Daughters is a beautiful tale of a young girl, who will do anything for those she loves. There is a little violence, but other than that, there wasn't any objectionable content as far as I could see.


I'm afraid I couldn't find a trailer to show you all, and all the clips I could find from it gave away bits of the plot, and I really wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone!! :)

"More than  any other book I know, this neglected masterpiece tells us what it feels like to be alive." ~Andrew Davis, screenwriter for Wives and Daughters~

3 comments:

Megan and Abby said...

I LOVE BBC dramas! They are so good! I haven't seen this one yet; maybe I can convince my dad to purchase it for our collection!

-Abby

Violet said...

Thanks for the review Daisy! It is an amazing film (and the book is pretty good too!), though not one of my most favourites. Still, I highly recommend it to everyone as it's a film I hope to buy at some stage to add to my growing BBC drama collection. Megan and Abby - you're bound to love it if you like other films of this genre! :)

Laura said...

You look kind of like Molly.
~Laura