Monday, 22 July 2013

In The Whispering Silence

"The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." 
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 
After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." ~1 Kings 19:11-12~ And it was from the gentle whisper that God spoke.

Yesterday was just one of those days. Several things I've been finding hard recently decided it would be a good day to rise up to the surface and get in my face... You know how it goes :P

In some ways, it was a really good day - we had a great sermon at church and I had a wonderful time catching up with those very dear to me after the service. But when I got home, I just sat down on my bed with my journal and cried my heart out to God. 

"God, I know You have perfect plans for my life, but why? Why did it have to go like this? Why couldn't things have gone my way? I mean, I know Your plans are better than mine, but why?"
I went round and round in circles, feeling more and more upset. Normally, I'm a pretty upbeat and positive person, but last night, I was just really struggling with my emotions.

I finished up writing my prayer. "I know I'm blessed Lord, truly I do, but this just hurts. A lot. Lord, maybe it is presumptuous of me to ask, but please give me something to remind me of Your hand in all of this. Help me to trust You."

At the bottom of that very page in my journal was the first gentle whispering answer in the form of this quote.
"When we allow God the privilege of shaping our lives, we discover new depths of purpose and meaning." ~Joni Eareckson Tada~
As I read over those words, it just really reminded me that whilst God does not need our permission to shape our lives, once we put the pen back in His hands, instead of trying to snatch it away all the time, we will truly be blessed more than we could ever have dreamed, as I have seen so many times in my life. And yet, we still forget and need reminding :P
As I sat there contemplating this, my cell phone rang with a call from Violet. I hurriedly tried to sniff away my tears as she asked my advice on a matter close to her heart. Then her phone cut out (it must have done this 10 times during the entire conversation!). When she called back, she said: "Daisy, are you alright? I can just hear in your voice that something's up, isn't it? I know you hide it from others, but you can't hide it from me, I know you too well my friend!" 

Her kind words made me start my crying again, as I began to tell her what was upsetting me. As always, she listened sympathetically, then gave me some amazing advice! She reminded me that God uses everything to shape our character and that even things that really hurt, or bring us down, can be used to humble us and make us more empathetic, in order to better serve Him. She also reminded me that sometimes things don't go the way we want for ourselves, because it is God's plan for someone else. 
We talked for ages and ages, and eventually moved from my worries to Violet's, which really served to remind me that my own concerns weren't nearly as bad as I'd worked myself up to believe. And, like always, listening to her problems made me feel a lot better. In a bizarre way, we managed to cheer each other up! We rung off with promises to pray for one another. 

The conversation with Violet really changed my attitude about everything I'd been obsessing over. I knew her words were the answer to that prayer I'd prayed "please give me something to show me Your hand in this, Lord." God doesn't always answer in massive ways, but often in the whispering silence, we just have to listen carefully.

"Come and meet with me in the quiet place. I Am waiting for you. Even though the storm might be breaking all around you, come and meet with Me. I Am waiting for you.
It is in the meeting that I will comfort and fill you with hope.
I Am the Lord of the overflow and I Am waiting to give to you abundantly."

Hope you are all having a wonderful week!
Love from, 

1 comment:

Violet said...

Aw, Daisy, your blog post nearly made me cry - it was so heartfelt! I think it's probably the most truly 'Daisy' post you've written yet actually, and really spoke to my heart today.

Thank you so much for being my friend and encouraging me too when I am down and being willing to hear all my petty worries as well! You sharing your worries really helped me to forget my own, and your advice was amazing & may the Lord help me to apply it to my life. Reading over what I said to you I realise I need to take in my own advice and apply it to myself as well!

Haha- yes, the phone did cut out rather a lot, didn't it? :P But I'm glad that the Lord still enabled us to have that conversation as I know we both needed it. I hope you are feeling a bit better today - I've been praying for you! Know that Lord is always near you and I'm always a phone call away if you need me! :)

I'm so glad to have you as my friend, even though we are as different as different can be. :D God bless & have a lovely week & I'll be praying! :)

From your friend & sister in Christ,
Violet