Thursday, 3 April 2014

Marching Orders

I read this amazing quote this morning by R.J. Rushdoony on the Bible:      
our marching orders

"Too often, the modern theologian and churchman (or churchwoman) goes to the Bible seeking insight, not orders. Indeed, I may go to Calvin, Luther, Augustine, and others, to scholars Christian and non-Christian, for insights, for data, and for learned studies, but when I go to the Bible I must go to hear God's marching orders for my life. I cannot treat the Bible as a devotional manual designed to give me peace of mind or a "higher plane" of living; it is a command book which can disturb my peace with its orders, and it tells me that I can only find peace in obeying the Almighty. 
The Bible is not an inspirational book for my personal edification, nor a book of beautiful thoughts and insights for my pleasure. It is the word of the sovereign and Almighty God: I must hear and obey, I must believe and be faithful, because God requires it. I am His property, and His absolute possession. There can be nothing better than that." 

Interesting thoughts! How do we treat our Bibles? Do we treat it as the Word of God? God speaks to us directly through His Word - do we look for His instructions for us when we read the Bible? Or do we just read little bits here and there to make us feel better about ourselves, or to cheer us up, or just because we have to? I know that I personally find it a challenge to sit down and actually study my Bible - to meditate on it, learn from it, and memorize it. Let me encourage you to make the time, make the effort, and get to know your Bible from start to finish. Everything that you need to know in life is in this Book. Find a reading plan that guides you through the entire Bible in a year. Memorize passages, start with one you are familiar with and once you're confident, challenge yourself. My brother is currently memorizing the book of Philippians (a very practical and encouraging book to have memorized!).

  "I seek you with all my heart;
   do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to youLord;
    teach me your decrees."

Psalm 119:10-12

Not sure what you're supposed to do with your life? The Bible is God's marching orders for you - read His Word, pray for guidance, hear what the Scripture speaks to you, and obey. You are God's possession, and there is nothing better than that :)

Love in Christ,


No comments: