Friday, 12 September 2014

To be in the World, but not of the World

From Pinterest

"I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth." ~ John 17:14-19 ~


 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." ~ John 15:18-19

"Do not be conformed to this world,but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." ~ Romans 12:2


I read this article today, and thought it'd be great to get a discussion going on this topic, as it's been on my mind for quite some time now. In fact, I wrote a blog post on this kind of issue about a year ago (here). As a "grey area" this one has posed great difficulty for me as a Christian. I know fellow believers who have all sorts of different beliefs on this: from some who would insist that listening to music outside of classical music and old hymns is pretty much "sinning", to those who will happily go so far as to sing along to lyrics which are not God-honouring in their content (either implicitly or explicitly), or watching sexually-charged music videos that seem a perversion of the purity God wants us to pursue, all in the name of "engaging with our culture", or because "[the artist] says they are a Christian, therefore it must be okay" (which often can be a contridiction even in the world's eyes as this article on Beyonce shows: http://www.examiner.com/article/beyonce-on-60-minutes-videos-steve-kroft-calls-beyonce-seductress). The same kinds of issues relate to movies too. I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but the Lord has really been challenging my thinking on this a lot lately, and I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this issue. 

God bless!
 
 

1 comment:

Violet said...

Here is a list of other scenarios I have come up against where the same kinds of confusing legalism vs liberalism issues surface:
- books
- movies
- modesty (e.g. "skirts only" vs "anything that's in")
- Bible translations
- going with friends to the pub or similar places (with the aim of evangelism)
- drinking alchol or complete abstinence from it
... etc.

I know these things are "grey areas" and that it's a case of searching the word of God, but still, I think discussion on this is helpful! :)