Thursday, 2 October 2014

Thoughts on Facebook...

 Hi all!

I posted this on my Facebook page the other day, and thought it was worth sharing. Praying it blesses you and gives you some food for thought about this and other social media. :)

From: Google Images
(Some thoughts on Facebook...I hope it doesn't come across as a rant and I do ramble on, but I genuinely think this is something needing to be discussed more. So bear with me and I'd love to hear your thoughts!) 

I've been thinking a bit about Facebook tonight. It's a curious tool really: simultaneously a really useful and really unhelpful tool. There are so many positives to it: staying in touch with friends better being at the top of the list and time wasting being most certianly at the other end! 

To add to this there are so many conflicting views as to how we should take the online "personna" (if you want to call it that) which we create through Facebook. I've heard it said over and over (and this seems to be reiterated on blogs a lot too) that Facebook only portrays the positive side of our lives, the highlights and happy and sunshiney and moments we experience. This leaves one with the inevitable conclusion that perhaps we should be more frank and honest online, sharing both the good and the bad? And yet, (and rightly so, I believe) we hesitate realising that no matter how fool-proof our privacy settings, words once written can not be so easily taken back and that the plethora of "friends" we have and the ease of using "sharing" and "liking" mechanisms mean that what we may consider private is, once posted online, really public information. 

It's made me wonder, what is a young Christian lady to make of all this as she navigates this precarious territory of honesty and caution? I can't pretend to have the answers to these or any other questions (that's why I'm writing this post haha)! But I will say that the Bible has sufficent wisdom for ALL areas of our lives (you have only to read some of Proverbs to see that!) even though this quite likely is a grey area. As it says in 2 Timothy 3:16-17:
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."
Evidently there are precedents in scripture to help guide us in making wise decisions in this area (even if Facebook wasn't around in Bible times!), so I think this is going to be my own personal research challenge for myself over the next wee while! 

Our impressions of both ourselves and others can be so easily formed based on what we see on our computer screens, when really this should not be so. It's easy for me to either be judgemental and view you based on what I see you "like" or "post" or to turn a complete blind eye at something when I should speak to you and pray for you out of concern and love. Likewise, it is easy for you to base your opinion of me through what you see online. 

I shudder sometimes to think that my online "personna" may be a very condescending "better than thou" appearance to the extent that those who don't know me well may see me as the "perfect Christian girl" and those who know me well enough to see my numerous sins and sinful attitudes on a daily basis (haha my mum would be top of this list! :P) would feel it is a superficial facade. It is truly my prayer tonight that that is NOT what you see of me on Facebook. In fact, I pray that is not ME that my Facebook page would be about at all! I hope that you would see that it is all about a girl who, imperfect as she is, has One who is greater than her, who sent His very Son to die for her! That it would be focussed on the One whose grace is all-sufficent to cover every nasty comment I post, every horrible thought I think, every wrong action I do. I write about Him a lot here perhaps, but that is only because I can never express my gratitude and love towards Him enough! In my quiet way, I don't speak about Him as much as I should out there when I see you in the real world, but in this space and by His grace, and with my love of writing I am able to share a little of what He is teaching me along the narrow way. 

Maybe I'm far too honest on Facebook. Maybe even tomorrow I will regret posting this and will want to hide my head under my pillow in shame (it has happened multiple times before)! Maybe I hide far too many of the tearful moments, the questioning God moments and instead I only show you the lace and frills, the victorious moments. But, if any of you see beyond these faults, beyond my often judging and condescending ways and get to glimpse, see, or even better KNOW the Lord as your Saviour than I will say that any ugly moments I have on Facebook will be worth it.

In short: despite my misgivings with it, as long as Facebook can be used to serve the Lord I'll be sticking with it. And maybe more addicted to it than I should be ..... but that's a whole other post in itself! 

Okay, so this has turned into a REALLY long ramble. I'm VERY impressed if you have read right to the end! God bless and have a lovely evening! Feel free to put your own thoughts on this. 

 

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hey Violet! I don't have facebook yet, but will definitely be thinking carefully about it before I do. Great post :) <3

Violet said...

Hi Beth! :) Yes, it's great to have a good think about Facebook before you ever get it (and respect your parents views on it too, haha). :P It certianly is a useful tool but one that is hard to navigate and avoid time-wasting on! :P But I'm sure that if you ever do get it, so long as the Lord is your focus in using it if you ever get it you should be fine! :) God bless! ~ Violet <3 ~