Monday, 27 April 2015

Mary and Martha...

Martha and Mary

38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
~Luke 10:38-42~
I'm a Martha. Anyone who knows me will tell you that. And up until recently, I didn't even notice. I've always been busy doing something or other, I always have a new project or something on the go. In fact, I cannot recall a time since I was around 11 when I wasn't working on scheme or other. Not that there's anything wrong with having projects, but there is when, as the passage above shows us, it distracts you from what is truly important - our Lord and Saviour. 

It's silly isn't it?! - like Martha, I try so desperately to please the Lord with serving and working as hard as I possibly can, at all times. And yet, I miss the point entirely. If I do not take the time to sit at my Lord's feet and listen to Him, then it is all in vain. 

This is something that has been on my heart a lot recently, that God has really been teaching me about. I was reading an article and it talked about minister who served his church very actively with events, fundraisers, and hundreds of other things, and yet, unless his congregation members really thought about it, they wouldn't know he loved them. That really got me thinking, as I am just like that. I do lots of "things" and feel I'm loving people through them, but unless I actually take the time to spend with them, to pray for them and to show them I care, would they know I love them? Probably not. And that thought really saddened me. That's not what I want at all. 

I love serving, but over the last few years, I'd been doing it out of a sense of duty and not out of the overflowing gratefulness and joyfulness I have from my Lord Jesus. Is it any wonder I'd gotten so tired and lost the plot a little?! ;P Like in verse 41, I was anxious and troubled by many things.
But it wasn't just that I didn't have my focus in the right place, but also that I was judging others for not having the drive to serve as hard and as constantly as I was, which makes me really sad. I didn't mean for it to happen, but some people I was really judgemental to in my heart of hearts. It makes me even sadder that in my sinfulness I couldn't see that it wasn't them who weren't serving hard or constantly enough, but me. I had strayed from the path, trying to do the right thing, but MY way. I couldn't see that those I thought lacking were the ones who had actually chosen the good portion - to serve the Lord first, love their friends and family next, and then serve their community. Isn't it sad how easily we can become blind?! 

I'm so glad that the Lord started opening my eyes to this - I had been missing out, so much! And no one can serve to the best of their ability if they don't spend their time at the feet of our Teacher.
All of this really came together for me this last weekend. I went to a wonderful church service with some of my girl friends on Saturday evening, and the sermon really touched my heart. Jesus at the centre. And then, guess what our Sunday morning sermon touched on? Being like Mary and not Martha. 
I have decided that I no longer wish to be a Martha. I want to serve still, but from a heart like Mary's. I know this won't be an easy journey for me, but God will guide me, He is faithful, and for that I am so thankful. 

So, let me ask you... Who are you? 
Mary? Or Martha? 
Lots of love, 

No comments: